Monday, March 2, 2015

Embrace the decade!

My new motto, Embrace the decade!  I turn 60 this week!  The 50s weren't so bad, but I do look a tad older now than 10 years ago.   I fear the 60s will do worst!  However, there is not much I can do about the passing of time so I will embrace this decade and give it a run for the money!
🔹First of all, I will keep my brain sharp.   I have resolved to read one book a month, I am on target for that.  January's read was A Light Will Rise in Darkness.  An intimate sharing of growing up black and Catholic in New Orleans.   Interesting that I always felt welcomed as a Catholic in New Orleans because of the large Catholic population.  However among the African Americans, that distinction was not favored.   An insightful read.
February's  book was Switch.  How to help situations and people change and accept change.  I learned a few things.
I am beginning my Godson TC Elliott's book, Axes of Evil for March.  It is a cold case Murder investigation of the 1912 Ax Man murders.  Not sure what to expect but knowing the author makes it worthwhile.
🔹Secondly I am getting my body in shape to tackle this decade!  I began last year by completing the Couch to 5K app and worked up to  jogging 30 minutes.   This year I have decided to actually jog/walk a 5 K race in May. (To benefit the Women's New Life Center) Never did that before.
Of course I continue my weight loss journey.  It's slow but it is happening!  Every pound lost means my knees have a better chance of making it through this decade unscathed!
🔹Spiritually I am upping the ante.  I will not slow down my service to the Lord or to build his kingdom!  I am going to work (through prayer and medication ) to get past the arthritis that plagues my thumbs and continue to play the guitar.  I am determined to do it because there is a need.  Younger folks, please learn to play the guitar!
🔹Embracing this decade means I will most likely be seeing my mom off to the heavens at some point. I hope that the Lord will give me the grace and peace to do it right.   At this point she is my biggest fan!  ("You're so pretty!") 😊

Time for me to get to prayer and my workout. Peace to all who read this.

No comments: